Friday, January 26, 2007

Are men happier than women

Although I laughed at some of implications of the article, I also caught myself asking if this is a true statement, not only for male society as a whole but individually as well. The men I know and have known in the past fall into both categories. I don't believe the statement "men are happier". I believe they are just more accepting and complacent of getting things done with as little turmoil and riffs as possible. It's like saying all men hate shopping. I know a few that will walk every mall and then search out a few more stores. As far as holding any truths, it's possible. But, if you stare at anything long enough, you're bound to see something you agree with. Stereotypes come in all shapes and sizes. Women hate it when men accuse them of it being "that time of the month" when she has the slightest bit of opposition in her voice. It isn't a matter of what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I know for a fact that women can not do everything a man can. I can NOT teach my boys to be men. I can teach them to be decent, good human beings. I personally do not know how it feels to be a man. Nor do I know how it feels to be a teenage boy in puberty. Is this because they have it easier than women? No! It's because they are who they are. It's nature vs. nurture. It's high time women realize that and quit moaning about how much easier men have it. After all, we don't need those 30 pairs of shoes. It's your choice. We choose our roles in this society. If you don't like the game, pick a new one! Albeit a fairly new way of seeing things in society, women's studies are a vital part of our world. We've had babies since the dawn of time. We clean the house, iron, dishes, make food, and shop for the food, laundry and the list goes on for miles. Yet, how often do we take the time to learn of the women in our pasts that made our way a little easier? We as women have been able to vote since 1920. Someone somewhere had to stand up for that right. What we as a capable, voting able, and speaking society of women need to realize is that, everything we have started somewhere. A small idea took us out of the kitchen and into the work force, demanding the same rights as men. We always had that right; unfortunately we listened to our ancestors and men surrounding us instead of our hearts and minds. Wake up women, we may not be able to do everything they can, but let's get off the soap box and finally make a difference. It starts here. Make your presence known to the world.

No comments: